Thursday, January 03, 2008

2007 Best and Worst Quotes
found by randomly roaming the Internet:

I've noticed other bloggers made lists of pros and cons, best and worst of this or that, summing up last year's achievements. I felt I was failing my readers by not rising up to the occasion with my own lists of choices. So here they are. Two short lists, five-items each, of wisest and stupidest quotes I found on the Internet during 2007.

Let me start with some of the stupidest:

*There's a need for a religious left to counteract the religious right.

*I don't like children with one exception and that was because his mother wasn't an asshole which I think most mothers of boys are. Look who runs things. If Hillary runs, I may have to broaden that observation.

*Well, [Bhutto's] family can thank Bush for yet another death

*“Fascism is a revolutionary form of right-wing populism, inspired by a totalitarian vision of collective rebirth, that challenges capitalist control of the state while defending class exploitation.”

*While I am not a professional writer nor Jewish, I do feel I am qualified to speak about Noam Chomsky. Along with Norman Finkelstein, he embodies all the qualities that a decent and honest Jew should possess. He is a hero for many Jews and non-Jews alike.

Here are some of the wisest quotes:

* Free speech does not absolve anyone from professional incompetence

"Historical analogies are never exact but sometimes useful. If they are to be useful, then the precedent needs at a minimum to be stated accurately" Oliver Kamm

* There should be a law ... that ignorance expands to fill the space available. Mick Hartley

* … everything is illuminated in the light of the past. It is always along the side of us, on the inside, looking out. Like you say, inside out. Jonathan, in this way, I will always be along the side of your life. And you will always be along the side of mine.

Well don't advocate for the devil. Advocate for someone better.

My favourites are the second and third quotes which happen to be articulated by two of my favourite bloggers: Oliver Kamm and Mick Hartley.

My best favourite blogger, Norm Geras, once said something extremely wise, but it was not in 2007, which is why I'm quoting it apart from my 2007 list:

If there is no truth, there is no injustice.

Let 2008 be better than 2007 and lesser than 2009.

2007 < 2008 < 2009 etc etc., Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home