Monday, February 11, 2008

Aspects of love:

I promised a series of new posts , in honour of Valentine's Day which is this Thursday. But other matters distracted me and I'm afraid I have nothing of my own to pronounce. So instead, I'll bring a quote that is pertinent:

“Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses, you build up a whole suit of armor, so that nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life...You give them a piece of you. They didn't ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like 'maybe we should be just friends' turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. I hate love.” (Neil Gaiman quote)
_________



Unred Valentine

Saudi Arabia outlaws the emotion we colour red

Saudi Arabia's religious police have banned red roses ahead of Valentine's Day, forcing couples in the conservative Muslim nation to think of new ways to show their love. (Via: Mick)

That's not such a great problem. Robert Burns suggests a few alternatives:


Yellow roses, with an inscription that "yellow is the new red").
"My love is like a red red rose That’s newly sprung in June;"

A CD with love melodies

"My love is like the melodie That’s sweetly play’d in tune"

A bottle of perfume that smells like the ocean, to suggest

"And I will love you still, my dear, Till a’ the seas gang dry."

A piece of jewelry studded with diamond, because

"And the rocks melt wi’ the sun And I will love thee still,"

Or a ticket for a vacation in the Bahamas, assuring the beloved that he will join her:

And I will come again, my love, Tho’ it were ten thousand mile.


And each gift comes with mandatory chocolates.

There, problem solved.

1 Comments:

At 1:00 PM EST, Blogger SnoopyTheGoon said...

I am not surprised that Saudis have banned red - it is reserved for the highest rank of MOL (Muslim Offence Level).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home