Monday, March 24, 2008


Cécilia María Sara Isabel Ciganer-Albéniz Martin Sarkozy Attias

A little gossip:

Cécilia Ciganer-Albéniz, former wife of Nicolas Sarkozy, married Richard Attias, three months after her famous ex married his Carla Bruni.

It's a nice, happy end story. No broken hearts, just happy couples.

Cécilia has a very interesting life story, and an even more intriguingly colourful identity. She is the daughter of a Russian Jewish-Gypsy emigre, and a Spanish-Belgian Spaniard whose father was a a Spanish diplomat and her maternal great-grandfather was the Spanish composer Isaac Albéniz.*

Her new husband is a Jewish-Moroccan multi millionaire.

_________

* I didn't know Albeniz was Jewish, but I'm not really surprised. I couldn't find whether he was a Jew or a converso, since for the Spaniards, conversos have always been Jews, even after generations of living and practicing as Christians. But it is interesting, nonetheless, to see these cultural threads, to which I have a special affinity, converging, once again. I am devoted to Spanish music, flamenco and my favourite poet is Lorca.

It's funny how I start following a thread and before I know it I find myself back on familiar ground of Spanish scenery and history, which are defining interests in my own life.

I shall leave you with this. Can't think of a better way to start a week.

3 Comments:

At 12:03 PM EDT, Blogger SnoopyTheGoon said...

Beg pardon - to start a week? Much as I love this same piece by Albeniz, if someone has the suicidal spunk to play Albeniz to me, say at 7 AM on Sunday (think Monday, OK?), he will be ... well, suicidal.

 
At 12:11 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky for me, then, that you got to hear it in the middle of week!

 
At 12:11 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home