Saturday, April 26, 2008

Again, Obama's scary fans

There was this exchange with Senator Obama about Farrakhan's endorsement, as reported here:

Obama appeared to dance around how far he should distance himself from the unsolicited backing he received over the weekend from Farrakhan until Clinton cornered him. At that point, he both denounced AND rejected that support.

Obama had been asked a straightforward question by moderator Tim Russert: Did he accept Farrakhan's support.

The following exchange occurred:

Obama: "You know, I have been very clear in my denunciation of Minister Farrakhan's anti-Semitic comments. I think they are unacceptable and reprehensible. I did not solicit this support. He expressed pride in an African American who seems to be bringing the country together. I obviously can't censor him, but it is not support that I sought. And we're not doing anything, I assure you, formally or informally with Minister Farrakhan.

Russert: "Do you reject his support?"

Obama: "Well, Tim, I can't say to somebody that he can't say that he thinks I'm a good guy."

And more recently, this exchange:

"...when Barack Obama’s campaign was informed that Hamas wants the Senator from Illinois to become America’s next president - calling him the second JFK and all - Obama spokesman David Axelrod responded: “it’s flattering when anybody says that Barack Obama would follow in [JFK’s] footsteps.”

When asked about the hamasization of Carter, Senator Obama was irritable and short tempered:

" Democratic White House contender Barack Obama could not hide his irritation Monday when asked by a reporter what he thought about former president Jimmy Carter's meeting with Hamas last week.

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" the Illinois senator said as he ate breakfast in Scranton, Pennsylvania, according to MSNBC television pictures.

Pressed again for an answer, he replied: "Just let me eat my waffle."



Commentary by Michael Goldfarb:

Only recently Obama declared that "nobody has spoken out more fiercely on the issue of anti-Semitism than I have." Apparently there's an exception for when anti-Semites compare Obama to Kennedy. Then all bets are off!

(and waffles take precedence).

Here's how John McCain reacted:

"...it’s “very clear who Hamas wants to be the next president of the United States,” and that “[i]f senator Obama is favored by Hamas I think people can make judgments accordingly..."


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home