Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Spring, love, music

Another tag game sent my way by Bobfrom:

"List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re not any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now, shaping your spring. Post these instructions in your blog along with your 7 songs. Then tag 7 other people to see what they’re listening to."

I confess, I'm usually very enthusiastic about tags but this time my heart is not really in it. Still, Bobfrom is an Internet friend who restored some of my faith in the civility and loveliness of man, so I will rise up to the occasion, though I can't respond in good faith to all the instructed demands. For example, I'm not yet truly enjoying my spring as I ought to, in spite of the tulips nodding their reddish-yellow heads at me in the window, in spite of the blue skies and my resumed ability to take walks (can't take walks on frozen sidewalks in winter).

I'm currently leading a discussion on the myths in Plato's dialogues. We have arrived at the Symposium and all the group participants are pretty enthused about the opportunity to explore the nature of love and Eros. Something about the combination of spring, Eros, and Plato that brings out the best thinking in people. With that in mind, and since I'm very pleased that my discussion group is doing so well, I decided to try to answer Bobfrom's tag call with a supposition:

If I were enjoying my spring as this glorious spring deserves to be enjoyed, what kind of songs would I be likely to listen to?


1. David Broza - Sigaliot (Violets). Here is a version sung in the Spanish original Un ramito de Violetas)

2. Rita - Erev Kahol Amok- Deep blue evening (Rita is my husband's favourite songstress, ever)

3. Windmills of your mind (film version)by Noel Harrison

4. Everything (....Is Never Quite Enough) Wasis Diop

5. Pulp fiction: opening music with Pumpkin & Honey Bunny

6. Les Feuilles Mortes Yves Montand (Ivo Livi) à l´Olympia

7. Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - "Mas que nada"

It's a wistful and somewhat nostalgic list and one that was inspired actually by the confluence of three fetes last week: Israel's Independence Day, my son's eighteenth birthday and Mother's day.

I'd like to tag my usual taggees but The New Centrist has indicated that he is not too fond of these games. If, nonetheless, he is interested in sharing his favourite songs with us, then please, New centrist, consider yourself tagged! I'm also sending out for the first time smoke signals to Saudi Jeans, I hope he will respond!

Selma

But I am a liberal

Modernity blog

Freemania

Saudi Jeans

Snoopy of Simply Jews

________

Rollcall:

The New Centrist posted his spring music. Intriguing, and to me, enigmatic, choices. I liked #8 the best, as might well be expected.

Salma posted her choices. I would cautiously conclude that she is a fan of Leonard Cohen! And she, too, likes "The windmills"! And Bobfrom mentioned Cohen in his comments about Rita's song, who is an Israeli singer of Iranian desecent..

15 Comments:

At 12:58 PM EDT, Blogger bob said...

Well, I knew you'd out-obscure me, Noga, but I have to confess I haven't heard of hardly any of these, so I'm off to YouTube to be edified!!

The only one I know is the Pulp Fiction thing, the great Dick Dale, very positively augmented by the dialogue. There's a cool Bobby Previte cover on Dangerous Rip.

 
At 1:01 PM EDT, Blogger bob said...

OK, I loved the Rita Kleinstein: I liked the way the sumptuous Leonard Cohen-y/Europop complemented the slight harshness in her voice. I am so ignorant of Israeli culture: something I need to correct in this anniversary year!

Off to check Dave B.

 
At 1:12 PM EDT, Blogger bob said...

I'm not completely getting the David Broza in the live version on YouTube - I feel my lack of Hebrew probably lets me down. But I love the Spanish original: almost gets to my schmaltz threshold but not quite!

 
At 1:16 PM EDT, Blogger bob said...

"Windmills of your mind":
What an amazing song! I've got a fair few versions I've picked up here and there, not least Dusty Springfield's great version. Oscar Peterson did a lovely version too.

I have never seen the original Thomas Crowne affair, although I did tape it off the TV the day before my video died, and more recently DVDed it, but my DVD is also dying. Maybe the film is what is killing my technology, rather than the foolish purchases I make.

 
At 1:35 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, CC.

I don’t want to sound like a sad sack but:

1) I often find the people I would like to tag have already been tagged.
2) When I am lucky enough to find someone who hasn’t, they don’t respond.

But maybe I’ll post what I’m listening to and leave it at that.

I know, what a sorry sad sack…

 
At 1:35 PM EDT, Blogger bob said...

I realise I do know the Wasis Diop song after all, because I have seen the re-make of Thomas Crowne.

I'm not so into his female co-singer, but his bits are gorgeous.

The re-made Thomas Crowne: what a great soundtrack! There's a cool thread here, as Max, who was tagged along with me in this meme, nominated Nina Simone's "Sinnerman", which is the fantastic opening song of the film.


And I do know the Sergio Mendes song too. That was probably the song that got me into Brazilian music, and was on the second CD I bought (a bossa nova compilation), when I first switched from vinyl - having moved in with my life partner and mother of my children - so I associate it with some of our happiest days!


By the way, I have another meme up my sleave for you that I have been tagged to do, but I'm going to leave it for a week or so!

 
At 1:35 PM EDT, Blogger bob said...

But I won't tag you TNC!

 
At 1:36 PM EDT, Blogger bob said...

Even (TNC) though you have excellent taste in music.

 
At 5:21 PM EDT, Blogger The Contentious Centrist said...

Bob: I was wondering whether anyone would get the connection between "The windmills" song and Wasis Diop's song. You'd need to be a film afficionado to notice! I bought the CD of the second "Thomas Crown" because I just fell in love with the music. And then I followed up by getting a whole Wassis Diop cd which is very good. I also got the Pulp Fiction CD.

David Broza is an Israeli singer who translated the songs by the Spanish singer composer Paco Ibanez in an album called "Haisha sheiti" (The woman with me). I used to listen to it non stop years ago. Here he is in Spanish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKomBBuxh2I

His best known song in Hebrew is: A Bedouin love song. I couldn't find it on youtube.

 
At 7:25 PM EDT, Blogger The Contentious Centrist said...

New Centrist: "sorry sad sack"? The poeticality redeems your reluctance... :)

That sounds like a name deserving of a blog!

 
At 2:25 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I posted some tunes:

http://newcentrist.wordpress.com/2008/05/16/more-than-seven-songs/

 
At 2:08 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Done ...and it was quite fun :D

 
At 2:33 PM EDT, Blogger SnoopyTheGoon said...

Er... it's not fair to hit me with this meme thingy. Besides, I have a feeling that your blog somehow doesn't leave traces on Technorati, since I have stumbled on this post by browsing through.

 
At 2:36 PM EDT, Blogger SnoopyTheGoon said...

Oh, and we agree on one song - the Windmills, which is one of my heartthrobs forever. Sentimental, me... well, Faye Dunaway, Steve McQueen, youth, all that stuff...

 
At 4:05 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"it's not fair to hit me with this meme thingy."

Snoopy, you are not obliged to respond. It's perfectly voluntary and you can just ignore it if you feel put upon. But I won't tag you in future if you are bothered by it.

The purpose is not "to agree" on songs but get to know other bloggers from diffferent aspects.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home