Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Israel's dwindling reservoir of leaders

It's a pretty depressing choice range, according to this blog:

A friend at Shabbat lunch today, someone with much political knowledge, suggested that he’d rather keep Olmert, corruption and all, than get Bibi or Barak back in the prime minister’s office. His political conclusion matched the slogan ... “Vote for the Crook. It’s Important”...

I don’t swallow this conclusion easily, even though I believe that Bibi has no plan for the country’s future but to hold the territories, build settlements, and hope that his speeches will dissuade the world from noticing the occupation. Barak’s plan for Israel’s future is in our past, buried at Camp David. Olmert is groping his way toward understanding that he’ll have to make a deal with the Palestinians. He is a bargain-basement, cheap imitation of a heroic leader, but he’s what the shop carries right now. So my friend argued. I think my friend dismissed Tzipi Livni a tad too easily, but I’d agree that she’s also more hawkish than Olmert.

1 Comments:

At 8:56 AM EDT, Blogger SnoopyTheGoon said...

At least falafel is still available. I keep repeating that it's time for a king. Or a queen. But there are no volunteers so far. No one is crazy enough. But it will come.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home