Monday, September 22, 2008

Her coat was too short, so she was arrested

A tale of Iran,

Everyone familiar with the situation in Iran had tried to change my mind when I decided to spend a few months there this fall. "It's become bad, people prefer to stay home rather than go out because they keep bothering everyone," the argument usually went. I had dismissed this as exaggeration.

----

The officers who dealt with me seemed, more than anything, to be simply doing a job they were being paid for. Still, I too now prefer to stay home as much as possible, not convinced that, right now, Iran is mine as much as anyone else's.

(Via: Selma): …I don’t have much to say these days. I don’t dare say the things I want to say these days. I don’t feel safe …I never did…

The New York Sun published what Sarah Palin would have said had she not been disinvited from the rally in Dag Hammarskjold Plaza to protest the appearance of President Ahmadinejad of Iran. Here is one excerpt:

Tomorrow, Ahmadinejad will come to New York. On our soil, he will exercise the right of freedom of speech — a right he denies his own people. He will share his hateful agenda with the world. Our task is to focus the world on what can be done to stop him.

Too bad she won't get to deliver this loud and clear message to an indifferent world, which can hardly bestir itself on behalf of oppressed Iranian women, Iranian bloggers, or anybody, if they are not suffering Palestinians....

Her speech would have the appropriate antidote for this shame.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home