Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Comment Trail:

For reasons which have everything to do with me and mine, I'm still in a drought season. There is nothing like an overwhelming source of worry and anxiety to dry up one's ability to write and drain one of any motivation to take the trouble. However, I can still respond so here is a comment trail for this Tuesday:

@ Solomonia: About the Grand Narrative

@ The Spine: minaret ban

@ The Spine: Is Obama soft on bullies? (yes...)

_____

Update:

If anyone takes the trouble of actually looking up my comments in any of these trails, and responding to them in some other site, they should at the very least make sure they represent my comments accurately and honestly. One poster on some message board which I will not deign to define here and now has quoted me as saying:

"'Switzerland’s referendum vote to ban minarets is needlessly xenophobic but it does not infringe the religious liberty of Swiss Muslims. Minarets remain emblematic of mosques in the Muslim heartlands but there is no theological reason why houses of worship in the West have to incorporate such towers...'"

whereas this is in effect an excerpt from what Taj Hargey - chairman of the Muslim Educational Centre of Oxford - said in an article in the Times.

I wonder how much mischief has been caused by this sort of sloppy reading and comprehension, eliciting more sloppy and irresponsible reactions. Why bother to read if one is not prepared to actually r-e-a-d what is written, in plain view?

4 Comments:

At 1:55 PM EST, Anonymous TNC said...

Hope you get out of the drought and water comes your way soon!

 
At 2:57 PM EST, Blogger The Contentious Centrist said...

Thanks, TNC. I'm glad to see you back in blogging.

 
At 11:00 AM EST, Anonymous Marcia ( Miner) said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:32 PM EST, Blogger The Contentious Centrist said...

I can put up with a hypocrite from time to time since hypocritical contributions can enliven a thread. But certified liars are not allowed to post comments on my blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home